STEEL FRAMING ALLIANCE | FRAMEWORK ONLINE
September 3, 2008
MARKETPLACE
 
July Imports Up 4 Percent Vs. June

Based on preliminary Census Bureau data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported today that the U.S. imported a total of 2,842,000 net tons (NT) of steel in July 2008, including 2,177,000 NT of finished steel (up 4 percent and 3 percent, respectively, vs. June final data). While total and finished steel imports through the first seven months of 2008 are down 11 percent and 13 percent, respectively, vs. the same period in 2007, the monthly average for finished steel imports in the most recent 3-month period (May-July 2008) is up 1 percent vs. the monthly average in the previous 3 months (February-April 2008). Total and finished steel imports on an annualized basis this year are down 3 percent and 4 percent, respectively, vs. 2007. On an annualized basis, total imports of steel in 2008 would be 32.2 million NT.

Key products with large increases in July compared to the month before include: Sheet & Strip–All Other (up 36%), Reinforcing Bar (up 30%), Oil Country Goods (up 18%), Sheet & Strip–Hot Dipped Galvanized (up 14%) and Plates in Coils (up 14%). For the year-to-date in 2008, products with significant increases vs. the same period in 2007 include Oil Country Goods (up 32%) and Line Pipe (up 14%).

In July, the largest volume of finished steel imports from offshore was from China (316,000 NT, down 14% from June). While steel imports from China in the first seven months of 2008 are down 38 percent compared to the same period last year, Chinese imports for the most recent 3-month period (July-May) are up 48 percent compared to the prior 3 months (April-February). Much of this tonnage is in high-value steel products still receiving government export tax rebates (e.g., OCTG, line pipe and hot-dipped galvanized sheet). Other major offshore suppliers in July include South Korea (256,000 NT, up 53% from May), Japan (149,000 NT, up 20%) and Germany (104,000 NT, down 11%).

Source: American Iron and Steel Institute, August 26, 2008

Next Article >>

 

HEADQUARTERS
 

Steel Framing Alliance
1201 15th St., NW,
Suite 320
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone 202.785.2022
Fax 202.785.3856

 
UPCOMING EVENTS
 
September 25, 2008
“It’s All Green. Are you?: LEED, the New National Green Building Standard and Green Globes” to be presented by Maribeth Rizzuto, LEED AP and SFA Director of Education and Sustainable Construction
Florida CFSEI chapter meeting
6 p.m.
Orlando, Florida
More
 
 
October 1, 2008
Steel Framing Alliance 10th Anniversary Dinner
Begins at 6:30 p.m.
Hyatt Regency Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
More
 
 

October 1-3, 2008
METALCON International
Baltimore, Maryland
More

 
 

October 14-15, 2008
19th International Specialty Conference on Cold-Formed Steel Structures
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
1 North Broadway
St. Louis, MO More

 
 

November 19-20, 2008
STEEL Doing It Right – Southern California
Carpenters Local #2361
1916 W. Chapman Ave.
Orange, CA More

 



 


 
 


Become a Member | Hotline 1-800-79-Steel | Unsubscribe

Brought to you by the Steel Framing Alliance (SFA) on the first Wednesday of each month, Framework Online arms you with the latest news and commentary on the steel framing and construction industries. In addition to industry headlines, trends and project profiles, Framework Online provides information and ideas that will better enable members to increase their participation in the residential and commercial construction markets.